Monday, April 2, 2012

Sewing/crafting

My Mom gave me a sewing machine for Christmas. I didn't know if I would use it very much, but after I got it I kind of went nuts and wanted to try a few new things.

I didn't have time to go to the fabric store the day it was delivered. I got home from work and started cutting up fabric from things that I had. My first creation was a rice bag made from a dishtowel. Not pretty, but very functional. :-.)


Project number two originated as a sweater I was trying to mend...but I ruined it. So cut off the sleeves and made leg warmers.




Project number 3 is completed but it is going to be a gift so I can't post it yet. 

Project number 4 was made out of some of the number 3 material so consider this a sneak peek. This is a rice bag that I use as a bean bag for the class I teach at church. I'm the Sunbeam teacher (3-4 year olds) and I love them SOOOOOO much. They are my kids. :-.)

I started project 5 first and then started making project number 6 at the same time. They are baby puff quilts. I bought the tutorial here. The only thing I didn't follow was the binding. I made ruffles instead. 

Here is the fabric for the puffs.


Here are the squares (mostly) all cut out for the puffs.



The puffs are done!!

 I should mention that I had a puff tragedy before I bought this tutorial. I tried to follow another blog that explained the basics of how to do it. I was so excited when I finished making 100 puffs. The only thing I didn't realize, until much too late, is that I over stuffed them. I didn't really think it though, but my intention was that I wanted to make sure that they stayed puffy for a long time, so I shoved as much stuffing as I could fit into each puff. Then I started trying to sew them together. It was so hard because they wouldn't smoosh together very well. Ok, lets be real, they wouldn't smoosh together at all. 
I spent an entire day trying to make it work and ended up breaking 7 needles, acquired multiple cuts/pricks on my hands and fingers, and shed many tears before I accepted defeat. I was so upset, I ended up having to slice open every single puff so I could reuse the stuffing. It was painful and traumatic.
Luckily I bought extra fabric so I had enough to start over. I broke down and bought the tutorial (which was sooo worth it). It explains how to do everything in great detail and with pictures. It even has a picture of how much stuffing to put into each puff. I'm pretty sure I looked at that picture 200 times to see how much stuffing to put in every single puff I made. I was so paranoid that I would over stuff them again. 

The pictures above are from the second round of puffs. About this time I started making my second puff quilt. This time for a baby boy.

This is the fabric.


Here are all the puffs sewn together. 




 Here is the border fabric cut out...


...and sewn on. 


Here are the ruffles. I had this LMFAO song stuck in my head for days before and after making the ruffle. David can attest that I sang and danced to my own rendition of "Everyday I'm rufflin'". Sadly those are the only words I know to that song, so I just sang that part over and over to myself (and David) as I was rufflin'.


Then it came time to attach the ruffle and the backing. It's not perfect but it was made with love. :-.)















I gave them as gifts to 2 of my friends that are having baby's. I told them that the only thing I wanted was a picture of their sweet babies in their blankets. Christina just had baby Josh and sent me a picture of him and the blanket in action! 

He is such a sweetheart! I got to hold him when he was only 1 day old!!
I love babies! :-.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, the remainder of this post is unrelated and very late. In October I had a random burst of craftiness. For anyone that has ever known me, you know this NEVER happens. Other than my recent sewing frenzy, as a rule I am never crafty. As proof, my friend Jackie and I bought the materials for this next project about a year before I ever got them out. I bought materials for a second project at the same time, that still hasn't been made. Anyway, here it is. 

  
I made this sign for David's office, I mean, studio. I get in trouble if I call it an office. ;-.) 


Here it is in action.



That's all folks! Until next time. May the odds be ever in your favor. 


Ok, one more thing. I went to see the Hunger Games movie and I loved it! It followed the book pretty well and I like how the cinematography made it a more authentic experience from Katniss's perspective.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Awwwwwww. Those blankets are soooo darling!! Nice job!! After all that work, they better have turned out nice!!

Michelle said...

Way to be crafty, Robin. But what I really wanted to say was, You are so lucky to have the Sunbeams! They are my all time favorite. :)

Maria Krieser said...

Just read an article by Pres Uctdorf that said something like women have a gift to create. So you are just using your feminine gift! Love ya!