Sunday, December 13, 2009

The Holidays

So this is pretty late to talk about our Thanksgiving...but I haven't talked about it yet and this is my blog, so here it goes.
We were planning on going to my aunt's house in Bremerton, WA for Thanksgiving, which is about 3 hours away. I was really excited because I love having family up in Washington that we can do things with and because I was only going to make one dish and a pie and still have a lot of variety of food because everyone was going to make something different.

About a week before Thanksgiving I got sick with a sore throat and really congested, luckily it was over the weekend so I didn't have to take any work off and it only lasted about three days. Then, of course, David caught whatever I had and got it 10 times worse and about 4 times longer than I had it. This meant that he was sick on Thanksgiving and that we wouldn't be able to go to my aunt's house.
At first I was kind of annoyed and depressed. David gets sick A LOT. I was driving home from work the day before Thanksgiving thinking about how maybe he would feel a little better the next day so I could drag him to my aunt's house and have a lot of good food and take home some leftovers (one of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving) when I realized what a jerk I was being by making him feel guilty about being sick and trying to talk him into driving for hours just to feel miserable the whole day because he was still pretty sick.

It was then I decided that we were going to have our own little Thanksgiving feast with all of the staples: turkey (not a whole one but a turkey breast), stuffing, cranberry sauce, rolls, (real) mashed potatoes, gravy, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, jello salad, and (of course) pie. So I went to the store and got everything (for under $50 which I thought was pretty good all things considered.) Then went home and started putting together all the casseroles so I could just put them in the oven the next day and baked the pie. We woke up Thanksgiving morning and started putting everything else together and it was so wonderful! I felt so good about making our own little Thanksgiving feast (and getting to keep a lot of leftovers.) David was a lot happier too, he even started feeling well enough by that evening that we went to a movie (New Moon, which wasn't as disappointing as Twilight was.) It was a perfect day.
We are now down in SLC for 2 weeks!! After working 12 hour days 5 days a week for 7 weeks I was defiantly ready for a vacation. I have to say...I love sleeping in more than words can describe.
In other news, we did get all of David's graduate school applications in (finally) and on time (Dec 1). When we were on the plane yesterday he got an email back from Cincinnati inviting him for an interview. (Yay!!) We weren't expecting to hear from any of them until the end of the month at the soonest, so that was very exciting.

3 comments:

Maria Krieser said...

I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving. You can sleep in all the time at my house!
What is the music on the blog?
Love Mom

R said...

The music is David's compositions and/or singing depending on the piece. One of my favorites of him singing is called Nessun Dorma.

Lindsey said...

Robyn your blog is so cute!!! hope murried life is going amazing! :)